Add to Watchlist
Over 370,000 students from mainland China are enrolled in American high schools and universities six times more than a decade ago with $11.4 billion contributed to the American economy. Filmed over three years, MAINELAND follows two teenagers fun loving Stella and introspective Harry who are part of this enormous wave of “para- chute students” from China’s wealthy elite seeking Western-style education and the promise of a Hollywood-style U.S. high school experience. Through their stories, the lm observes China’s place in the in the contemporary world order, its rise, and how that rise is impacted by the West, Directed by Miao Wang (Beijing Taxi). Shot on Cinematic HD on by Sean Price Williams (Queen of Earth, Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of National Lampoon, Iris, Kate Plays Christine).
Miao Wang (Director / Producer / Co-Editor) is an award-winning filmmaker who focuses on creative and cinematic documentaries that inspire cultural understanding and a humanist perspective of the world. Her critically-acclaimed documentary films Beijing Taxi (feature-length) and Yellow Ox Mountain have screened at over 70 international festivals and institutions such as SXSW and the Guggenheim Museum, with US theatrical release, and broadcast nation-wide. Beijing Taxi is digitally distributed by Sundance Artist Services. She directed Made by China in America, a documentary short in Morgan Spurlock’s acclaimed We the Economy series. Wang is a recipient of grants and fellowship from the Sundance Institute, the Jerome Foundation, New York State Council on the Arts, the Tribeca Film Institute, Tribeca All Access, IFP Filmmaker’s Lab, Independent Film Week, Women Make Movies, and the Flaherty Film Seminar.
- Monday 20st : Press & Industry previews
- Tuesday 21nd : Opening film premiere
- Wendesday 22rd : Start of the Retrospective 2018, Slash Film event
- Thursday23th : Drive In Theater #1, Spotlight premiere
- Friday 24th : Open Air event at Kitzbueheler Horn, Drive In Theater #2
- Saturday 25th : Closing film premiere
- Sunday 26th : Additional screenings of all awarded films of FFKB 2018
- Monday 20st : annual members meeting of the FFKB Association
- Tuesday 21nd : Opening Night
- Wendesday 22rd : Jury’s “Weisswurst Brunch”, FFKB-Alumni party
- Thursday 23th : Directors and Producers Brunch, Drive In Theater #1 including a Concert & BBQ.
- Friday 24th : Sundown and Warm-Up at the Kitzbueheler Horn, Drive In Theater #2 including a concert & BBQ, “Alpesdating” Pitches (Forum for Producers)
- Saturday 25th : “Alpendating” Brunch in cooperation with FFF (Bavaria), IDM (Alto Adige), ÖFI (Austria), Zürcher Filmstiftung (Switzerland)
Award Show & Gala Event
Playtime and Theater
[24.08. – 15:45 FKB,
25.08. – 19:15 FKB]