Add to WatchlistBuy Ticket
When God Sleeps
“My songs didn’t make me famous. The fatwa did.” And so we embark on the journey of rapper Shahin Naja , whose bold style and transgressive lyrics put him in the crosshairs of religious clerics in his native Iran. The clerics issued the fatwa for his death in response toone of his songs, which they deem blasphemous. This is a story of thistireless artist-activist against the backdrop of the 2015 Paris terrorist attacks and the global rightwing backlash against Middle Eastern refugees. Shahin’s es- cape leads to an impossible romance when he falls in love with the grand daughter of the first Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran. With such family backgrounds, Shahin and Leili become a modern day Romeo & Juliet, caught in the storm of Europe’s refugee crisis, rising Trumpismand global anxiety about the increasingly violent clash between art and religion.
Schauder got his start in Germany where he wrote and directed the award winning feature films STRONG SHIT and CITY BOMBER. His U.S. debut, SANTA SMOKES won several international awards, among them Best Director at the Tokyo International Film Festival and the Studio Hamburg Newcomer Award. In 2012, Schauder completed his first documentary, the critically acclaimed THE IRAN JOB, which was released theatrically in several countries, shortlisted for a German Oscar, and is now available on Netflix. In 2014 he was awarded the prestigious Gerd-Ruge-Stipendium by Medienstiftung NRW, Germany’s largest federal film fund. Schauder received his MA at the University of Television and Film, Munich. He teaches film classes at NYU and Vermont College of Fine Arts where he is a founding faculty of the Film Masters Program.
- Monday 20st : Press & Industry previews
- Tuesday 21nd : Opening film premiere
- Wendesday 22rd : Start of the Retrospective 2018, Slash Film event
- Thursday23th : Drive In Theater #1, Spotlight premiere
- Friday 24th : Open Air event at Kitzbueheler Horn, Drive In Theater #2
- Saturday 25th : Closing film premiere
- Sunday 26th : Additional screenings of all awarded films of FFKB 2018
- Monday 20st : annual members meeting of the FFKB Association
- Tuesday 21nd : Opening Night
- Wendesday 22rd : Jury’s “Weisswurst Brunch”, FFKB-Alumni party
- Thursday 23th : Directors and Producers Brunch, Drive In Theater #1 including a Concert & BBQ.
- Friday 24th : Sundown and Warm-Up at the Kitzbueheler Horn, Drive In Theater #2 including a concert & BBQ, “Alpesdating” Pitches (Forum for Producers)
- Saturday 25th : “Alpendating” Brunch in cooperation with FFF (Bavaria), IDM (Alto Adige), ÖFI (Austria), Zürcher Filmstiftung (Switzerland)
Award Show & Gala Event
Playtime and Theater
[25.08. – 14:00 FKA,
26.08. – 17:45 SK]